Rapid authentication of fish species using peptide probes isolated in the ProTrap XG
Alan A. Doucette, Jessica L. Nickerson, Katie Halliday, Joshua Turner, Chemistry Department, Dalhousie University
- Either 2% SDS, or 80% formic acid, provides optimal extraction of proteins from fish muscle.
- Rapid (5 min) acetone precipitation in the ProTrap XG isolates fish protein in high purity.
- Following tryptic digestion, the ProTrap XG SPE cartridge selectively isolates peptide fractions.
- Rapid MS infusion of fractionated peptides reveals an abundance of species-specific peptides.
- Protein sequence similarities across related species demands further work to identify makers.